Grain-Free Thin Pizza Crust That’ll Have You Reminiscing of Old…

My favorite food is pizza. If I had to pick something to eat every night for dinner for a month, it would probably be pizza. It needs to be fresh, though. I don’t enjoy it after it’s been sitting out for awhile. This guy’s favorite food is pizza, too:

DSC_0001

Yes, his eyebrows are red. He came out of his room to ask us if we noticed anything different about him. Apparently, red crayon shows up on his dark skin. The picture doesn’t do it justice, though. But I digress. This kid loves his pizza. When we first changed our diet, that’s what we missed the most. We do indulge in the “real stuff” sometimes, but not too often. I’ve been working away, trying to come up with a pizza crust recipe that is simple, and not too far off from what we remember. And finally, finally I got it!

Recipe: Grain-Free Thin Pizza Crust That’ll Have You Reminiscing of Old…(makes a large baking sheet size pizza, or 2 round medium-sized pizzas)

grain free thin pizza crust

1 cup almond flour

1.5 cups tapioca flour (arrowroot starch may work here, but I haven’t verified this yet)

2 tsp gluten-free, cornstarch-free baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup olive oil

2/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Sprinkle a bit of almond flour on the baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Stir in the olive oil and water. Get a little bit of almond flour in your hands, remove the dough from the bowl, and begin spreading the dough over the baking sheet, using your hands. Continue to spread it out evenly, using a bit of almond flour to keep from sticking, if needed. Bake in oven for about 10 minutes, remove from oven, and top with desired sauce and toppings (I got a pre-made pizza sauce from Whole Foods that was delicious and had no junk ingredients added). Bake for another 8-10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling (if you’re using cheese) and toppings are crisping. Remove and let cool for a few minutes before slicing.

A few notes: You could add some herbs into the crust if desired. I made mine plain, but it would be awesome with some herbs as well! Also, I used raw cheese and uncured pepperoni on top. My little guy who is dairy-sensitive does fine with raw dairy, so I use it when I can! I get some awesome raw sharp cheddar from Whole Foods. Their cheese department is incredible!

Comments

This looks amazing! My husband and I have “Pizza Friday” every week and I am always looking for crust recipes to keep in my holster. Thanks for sharing!

- Katie
    girlmeetsnourishment.com

2. Kari says

Where do you source your almond flour? and what brand?

I have another recipe that uses almond meal but it leaves the texture a bit griany. Sometimes I want something closer to the “real thing” but can’t tolerate the gluten at all!

• radlandon says

Hi, Kari! I usually get my almond flour from Honeyville or nuts.com. Honeyville is cheaper if you can hold out for coupons. I think last time I bought a 25-pound box for about $3.99/pound.

• Kari says

Thanks for the info! I’ve been buying the Bob’s Red Mill brand and it’s the one that leaves the grainy texture, but maybe it’s just the way that recipe is. I can’t wait to try this one and see if it turns out better.
        I’m also going to check into the sources you listed because $3.99/lb is way better than what I’ve been finding it at!

Thanks again! :)

3. Lindsey in AL says

This. Was. Excellent!
    Everyone in my house thought it tasted like real pizza (and smelled like biscuits while baking :)) except DH who was at work when I made it. We didn’t save him any. He has enjoyed every grain-free pizza crust we’ve tried so I know he’d love this too.

I used a silpat in my baking sheet and a silicone spatula, moistened with water, to spread the dough. That was the hardest part but it worked better than my hands, hands down.

I think a little more salt would improve the flavor even more. Herbs would probably be tasty too. I can hardly wait to experiment :)

Thank you so much for restoring pizza to our regular menu. We will be MUCH less tempted to eat it in restaurants with this delicious recipe under my belt.

I so enjoy your blog and knowing that I’m not the only freak out there trying to feed a family of 7 (soon to be 8) this way. Keep up the excellent work!

Can I just eat the pepperoni? Seriously, though, my little one will be ecstatic to have one of her favorite foods while we continue our gluten elimination to see what’s causing her non-stop sniffles.
    By the way, the beef, broccoli, and bacon recipe was to die for. It’s on the menu again this week :-)

• radlandon says

Hi, Kim! Have you tried cutting out dairy yet? That was the main culprit for allergies/stuff noses in our house! Just thought I’d mention it in case!

5. Joni says

Just made this and after several years of searching for an amazing grain free crust I finally found one!! Thanks for sharing! We live this one!!

6. Kari says

Btw. We finally made this (actually a couple times by now) and we love it! The Bob’s Red Mill almond flour I’d been using was fine for this so I think the grainy texture in the other recipe was just how that recipe is. We are so glad to have good pizza again!

Thanks again for the info on sourcing the almond flour! We are looking at a cheaper alternative than the grocery store as our budget just got tighter.

This looks gorgeous! What a gorgeous, smiling welcome to the page too. I’m in the process of re-blogging this recipe, you should be getting a ping back soon! Thank you~

8. noelle says

your recipe was the first thing I have ever made grain free. I served it to devout palio dinner guests and they said it was the best crust they have tried!
    Thank you for sharing it!

9. Brandae says

Just made this! Yum, yum, yum! Doughy and crispy! Love it! I used raw organic white cheddar cheese and cilantro on top of mushrooms, orange and red bell peppers, BBQ sauce. Crust made with the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, evoo, water, salt, and pizza spices.

10. Leah says

I will just say I did not make the crust, my husband did (he says he followed instructions lol). But the crust completely fell apart and crumbled everywhere. And when it was mixed up it looked more like pancake batter than dough. Anyone else have this?? This is the one thing my daughter misses the most and would love to find a crust that works!!

• radlandon says

Hi, Leah! I have never had that problem. Did he happen to use almond meal instead of almond flour? That’s the only reason I can think of off the top of my head… so sorry it didn’t turn out!

• radlandon says

Hi, Mel! I hear that sunflower seed flour is a good sub, but I haven’t tried it yet. You could also use a gluten-free flour if you are ok with that. Hope that helps!

Love this recipe! I’ve modified it a bunch for our house but wanted to say that pumpkin seeds ground fine are the most delicious sub for almond flour!

11. Di says

Heavenly Days!!!!!!! Is this a good crust or WHAT?!!!!!!? I just served it up to the fan and they LOVED it!!!! We went grain-free a few months back and have tried about 10 different crust recipes—hands down this is our absolute fave!!!!

I also am a huge fan of the simplicity of the recipe, as well as the fact that it uses tapioca starch, and makes the very expensive almond flour go so much further.

I added oregano and basil and garlic granules to our crust which I think added a nice flavor. This will be a frequent friday night supper around here!!! Thanks for sharing, Di