Paleo Lemon Bars

Paleo Lemon BarsPaleo lemon pie bars

Do you love lemon bars? I don’t. Well, at least I didn’t until I made these. And now? Well, now I do. These bars will melt in your mouth!

Recipe: Paleo Lemon Bars

Crust:

4 cups almond flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot starch

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey

2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 cup coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9×13 pan with coconut oil. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, then press into the greased 9×13 pan. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until beginning to turn golden brown. While that’s cooking, prepare lemon topping:

Lemon Topping:

4 eggs

3/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey

1/2 cup lemon juice

1 TBSP lemon zest

5 TBSP tapioca flour or arrowroot starch

Beat together all ingredients. When crust is ready, pour lemon topping over crust (note: it will be liquid–it’s ok!), then bake another 20 minutes or so, until set. For best results, chill before eating.

FRESH Posts In Your Inbox
Life Made Full
Join the 1000's of Readers That
Receive Our New Posts By Email.

Comments

1. Jaime says

After chilling in the fridge, how long can these bars sit out? And for how many days are they still considered “good”?

• radlandon says

These should be stored in the fridge and served chilled. They could be left out for a little bit, but serving them chilled is the best idea. They should last for 5 days or so if stored in the fridge, covered.

2. Rob says

Not sure where we’re going wrong. We’ve baked this twice following your instructions to the letter. They don’t look anything like your photo, and they certainly don’t look like “regular” lemon bars (though that’s to be expected).

It’s almost like we mixed the crust and filling ingredients together as one, but we didn’t. Maybe we shouldn’t bake as long for part 2.

That aside, they taste good, so maybe that’s all that really matters. I’m just a stickler for accuracy I guess! :)

3. Ashleigh says

I just made these and when I poured the lemon mixture over the crust, the lemon mixture went through the crust. I’ve never made lemon bars before, but I thought the lemon mixture was supposed to sit on top? I looked back over the instructions 3 times, but I’m not sure where I went wrong. Why would this happen?

Thanks!

• Ashleigh says

I did. Are you supposed to let it sit for a while before you pour on the lemon mixture?

And even though they ended up reverse lemon bars, they tasted SO good! Definitely going to try it again.

• Lianne says

The same thing happened to me! I cooked the crust according to the directions and when I poured the lemon topping over the crust it mixed together. It is baking in the oven right now, so i’ll find out how they look. I’m suppose to take this to a cookie exchange. Hopefully they at least look somewhat presentable???

Hmm. Are you at high altitude? It seems that there is some variance here with ovens…I will retry the recipe again and see if there is something off? I’ve made it a few times, and haven’t had a problem…wonder if my oven is cooking hotter than others?

• Krista says

Same thing happened to me! The picture looks like the lemon topping sits on top? Mine mixed right into the baked bottom layer… are you supposed to let the bottom layer cool first? I didn’t.

4. Ashleigh says

Success!!! I just re-made these and they turned out PERFECT. Last time, I took the crust out of the oven and a couple minutes later poured on the lemon mixture, resulting in the lemon mixture going through the crust and resting half on bottom, half on top.

This time, I let the crust sit for about 15-20 minutes before I poured on the lemon mixture and it worked! These lemon bars look like real lemon bars! I’m so excited because last time they tasted amazing but looked funky, and this time around they’re bound to come out perfect!

Thanks so much for putting up this recipe, it’s one of my favorite Paleo desserts!!!