“Paleo-fied” Pumpkin Pie Bars

pumpkin pie bars

Don’t be scared by the number of ingredients: This literally took about 5 minutes to throw together!

Recipe: “Paleo-fied” Pumpkin Pie Bars

Pumpkin mixture:

1 (15 oz) can pureed pumpkin (nothing added)

1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup

1/4 cup full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk

1 egg

3/4 tsp cinnamon

dash salt

Crust:

2 cups almond flour

1/4 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease an 8×8 pan with coconut oil. In a medium bowl, mix together all the pumpkin mixture ingredients. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine all the crust ingredients. Press the crust into the greased pan and pour the pumpkin mixture on top. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes, or until pumpkin is set. Remove and cool a bit, then place in refrigerator and chill for at least an hour, cut into squares and enjoy!

Note: For best results, store in refrigerator.

Comments

1. Toni P says

OMG!! These look delicious and I have everything to make these. I know what’s being cooked tonight!! Aixa: You can find Arrowroot flour at Whole Foods or online. I get mine from Bob’s Red Mill.

Ok – so I made this tonight while I was making your pumpkin spice cake – and my whole house smells so good! I had to make the cake so we’d have something to eat tonight while this one chills – but it looks so good and I can’t wait to have it for breakfast!

3. Mary says

I just made these bars, and the house smells great! I did make the mistake of substituting “light” coconut milk for full-fat because it’s what I had in the house. I modify recipes all the time so I didn’t think it would be a big deal. I baked them an extra 15 minutes and it still didn’t set so I’m going to put them in the fridge in a few minutes and see if the cooling process does the trick! I can post an update if anyone’s interested.

Hi, Mary. Did it work? I don’t think the coconut milk substitution would make that much of a difference…not sure why it didn’t set? Let me know how it turned out!

• radlandon says

No one has had issues with the crust that I’m aware of. You really don’t need to pre-bake the crust–remember that these are supposed to be chilled–the coconut oil holds the crust together! Hope that helps!

4. learning mama says

Thanks for the yummy dessert recipe. I made it tonight and it was a hit. However, I don’t recommend doubling the recipe and baking in a 9×13. It took longer for the pumpkin mixture to cook in the middle causing the crust to overbrown. When I make this again, I will make two batches! One batch won’t be enough because of how delicious this recipe is.

5. Rebekah Dernbach says

I made these tonight and I didn’t have coconut milk so I used almond milk and they are setting up just fine. I haven’t tried them yet but they smell so amazing and look even better. I hope they turn out ok with my substitution :)

6. Jen Bossick says

Can I sub tapioca starch or coconut flour for the tapioca flour??? I didn’t realize I forgot to buy that 1 ingredient!!!

7. Aliyanna says

I would like to make these….is there a sub for the almond flour if you can’t do nuts….nor a lot of the seeds…..would sorghum or rice flour work?

8. Michelle G says

These sound so yummy, and I really need a GF sweet. However, I am also Diabetic. What could I substitute for the honey and syrup. I mean, I know I could use stevia, but wouldn’t I need to replace some of the moisture that the honey or syrups would have provided? Thanks,

1. […] 7. “Paleo-fied” Pumpkin Pie Bars When you want the taste of pumpkin pie in a more portable format, this will get the job done. The ingredients on these bars are pretty much the same as what you’ll find in a pumpkin pie, in fact these function pretty much just like a pumpkin pie, but without the familiar pie slice shape, and with a crust that is a bit different than your typical pie crust. Rest assured that all of the ingredients are Paleo approved for your total enjoyment. That’s why you’ll see items like almond flour, coconut oil, and pure maple syrup being used, as these are staples of Paleo baking. […]