Chocolate Almond Chortles

Sorry about all the sweet stuff I’ve posted this week–it has just been a week of treats around here! These are amazing…soft on the inside, a bit crunchy on the outside. Heavenly!

Recipe: Chocolate Almond Chortles

1 cup unsweetened almond butter

3 TBSP pure maple syrup

5 TBSP coconut oil + 3 TBSP (separated)

2 cups soy-free, dairy-free chocolate chips

In a small bowl, combine the almond butter, maple syrup and 5 TBSP coconut oil. Stir until well combined. Cover an 8×8 pan with a piece of parchment paper and spread the almond butter mixture on top, not spreading too thin. Place in freezer for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Stir in 3 TBSP coconut oil and remove from heat to cool. Once the chocolate is about room temperature, remove almond butter mixture from freezer, place onto a cutting board and cut into squares. Dip each one in the cooled chocolate and set back on to parchment paper. Place in refrigerator for at least a 1/2 hour, until chocolate hardens. Store in refrigerator, as they will soften if left out at room temperature.

FRESH Posts In Your Inbox
Life Made Full
Join the 1000's of Readers That
Receive Our New Posts By Email.

Comments

This looks awesome, but one technical question. The ingredients list says:
    “5 TBSP coconut oil + 3 TBSP (separated)”
    but then the recipe itself says, “3 TBSP coconut oil” and then alter, “Stir in 3 TBSP coconut oil”…
    Should one of those 3s be a 5, did we lose 2 Ts of oil, or are my eyes a little wonky?

PS. I made your chestnut flour chocolate chip cookies last week. I also added a bunch of chopped-up chestnuts. They were heavenly!

2. jenna says

What happened to the other 5 Tbs Co? and where can I buy chest nut flour for those cookies the above comment talked about?

Oh no! I’m so sorry! I fixed it. The first sentence should have said to add FIVE TBSP, not THREE. Sorry! As for chestnut flour, I have seen it at Whole Foods, nuts.com, and other places online. I got mine from a friend who bought it on nuts.com….

Thanks!

Chestnut flour is commonly an Italian thing, so if you’ve got an authentic Italian market nearby, you might score some there… that’s where I discovered it.

3. Rob says

These look great!

Thanks for sharing. It’s always nice to know there are healthy options for snacking which aren’t going to wreck your health.

If you’re interested in healthy energy bars I’d recommend checking out these puppies:

I made them myself and I’m pretty proud of them. If not then don’t worry and cheers again for the recipe!

Rob

4. Allison says

These look great but I’m new to Paleo & am confused about how chocolate chips fit into Paleo; are there chocolate chips out there that are sugar free? I checked out Enjoy Life chips but they have evaoprated cane juice; is this Paleo? can cocoa nibs be used instead? which chips do you recommend and where do you get them? thanks and I enjoyed reading about your beautiful family!

Hi, Allison! No, those chips are not “Paleo.” Our family does eat Paleo about 80% of the time, but we do use Enjoy Life when I bake the kids treats, since they are soy/dairy-free. Cocoa nibs wouldn’t melt the same unfortunately. Hope that helps!