Chocolate Almond Chortles

Sorry about all the sweet stuff I’ve posted this week–it has just been a week of treats around here! These are amazing…soft on the inside, a bit crunchy on the outside. Heavenly!

Recipe: Chocolate Almond Chortles

1 cup unsweetened almond butter

3 TBSP pure maple syrup

5 TBSP coconut oil + 3 TBSP (separated)

2 cups soy-free, dairy-free chocolate chips

In a small bowl, combine the almond butter, maple syrup and 5 TBSP coconut oil. Stir until well combined. Cover an 8×8 pan with a piece of parchment paper and spread the almond butter mixture on top, not spreading too thin. Place in freezer for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Stir in 3 TBSP coconut oil and remove from heat to cool. Once the chocolate is about room temperature, remove almond butter mixture from freezer, place onto a cutting board and cut into squares. Dip each one in the cooled chocolate and set back on to parchment paper. Place in refrigerator for at least a 1/2 hour, until chocolate hardens. Store in refrigerator, as they will soften if left out at room temperature.

Comments

This looks awesome, but one technical question. The ingredients list says:
    “5 TBSP coconut oil + 3 TBSP (separated)”
    but then the recipe itself says, “3 TBSP coconut oil” and then alter, “Stir in 3 TBSP coconut oil”…
    Should one of those 3s be a 5, did we lose 2 Ts of oil, or are my eyes a little wonky?

PS. I made your chestnut flour chocolate chip cookies last week. I also added a bunch of chopped-up chestnuts. They were heavenly!

2. jenna says

What happened to the other 5 Tbs Co? and where can I buy chest nut flour for those cookies the above comment talked about?

Oh no! I’m so sorry! I fixed it. The first sentence should have said to add FIVE TBSP, not THREE. Sorry! As for chestnut flour, I have seen it at Whole Foods, nuts.com, and other places online. I got mine from a friend who bought it on nuts.com….

Thanks!

Chestnut flour is commonly an Italian thing, so if you’ve got an authentic Italian market nearby, you might score some there… that’s where I discovered it.

3. Allison says

These look great but I’m new to Paleo & am confused about how chocolate chips fit into Paleo; are there chocolate chips out there that are sugar free? I checked out Enjoy Life chips but they have evaoprated cane juice; is this Paleo? can cocoa nibs be used instead? which chips do you recommend and where do you get them? thanks and I enjoyed reading about your beautiful family!

Hi, Allison! No, those chips are not “Paleo.” Our family does eat Paleo about 80% of the time, but we do use Enjoy Life when I bake the kids treats, since they are soy/dairy-free. Cocoa nibs wouldn’t melt the same unfortunately. Hope that helps!