30 Day At-Home CrossFit Challenge Coming Tomorrow!

I like to be challenged. Well, not challenged so much that I’m gonna keel over, but challenged enough that I’m working toward something. Complacency is both my enemy and my demise. Once I stop challenging myself, I get bored, start doubting myself and begin to beat myself up for not doing something more.

I like running and have done a few 1/2 marathons. Sometimes I like it more than other times. I go through phases. But a few months ago, I started to feel that complacency starting to set in. I was getting into a running rut. I began to dread my mid-week runs and would try to think of excuses to talk myself out of going out for a jaunt. I have always looked forward to Saturday runs, as my running partner joins me and we can chit chat away, enjoying each other’s company. But I wanted something more…something different.

I’ve always wanted to do CrossFit, but having 5 young children and homeschooling them leaves little flexibility for getting to a gym or group class, and being that my husband is a teacher, we don’t have a lot of extra cash laying around. I needed something to do at home. And that’s when I came across THIS. So, I started doing little bits at home and I realized they are perfect for me right now. They are an awesome supplement to my running. I’m in good shape, but I’m not strong. I can’t do a pull-up, I get sore from hauling wood (yes, I’m a country girl), and I realized after one CrossFit workout that running wasn’t working nearly as many muscles as I’d hoped for.

So here’s the deal. 30 days. 30 chances to throw a quick work-out into your day. Seriously, some of these took me less than 10 minutes to complete, and I felt whipped at the end. It’s all about going hard, quick and efficiently. I will post my week’s workouts each Tuesday (or sometimes before). I’ll do “before” measurements and “after” measurements (although I’m not trying to lose weight, just gain muscle). I’ll post my results and I’ll share my failures (of which I’m sure there’ll be some). One concession: Saturdays are my “longer run” days, and I’ll usually do a 4-6 mile run. Sundays are my rest days. That means 6 days a week I’ll be doing something, even if it’s just a quick 5-rounds of squats and push-ups.

Here are my top five reasons you should join me in my “30 Day At-Home CrossFit Challenge”:

5: You know you want to

4. You will become stronger (and you know you want to!)

3. Your confidence will soar (and you know you want it to!)

2. It’s not like you have to carve an hour out of your day to do an intense workout–fit in what you can (‘cuz you know you want to!)

1. At the end of 30 days, you will be amazed at your progress and you will be an inspiration to others! (and you know I want you to!)

So, are you in??

Here are my workouts for the next 7 days (If this is your first type of workout in a long time, lower the number of repetitions, if you’re already doing a fitness regime, you can up your repetitions to make it more challenging):

Wednesday, February 1: 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups, 10 air squats (5 rounds)
Thursday, February 2: Run 1/2 mile, 25 (or 50 if you can) air squats (3 rounds)
Friday, February 3: 20 lunges, 10 push-ups (5 rounds)
Saturday, February 4: Longer run (or whatever it is that you like to do–biking, swimming, etc)
Sunday, February 5: Rest day!
Monday, February 6: 50-100 jumping jacks, 25 air squats, 20 push-ups, for time (keep a record of your time. I have THIS app for my iPhone, but you could just use plain pen and paper and do just fine!)
Tuesday, February 7: Run 1 mile for time

That’s it! Not too bad, right? Totally doable. A lot of times, I just do my workout outside while the kids are playing. Believe me, if I can do it, you can too! Sometimes I just cram in 100 air squats before my shower in the morning. Just as long as it’s something.

Again I ask, ARE YOU IN??

Comments

I am IN! I have been looking for something that I can do from home, without having to buy anything, and this is PERFECT!! CrossFit is all the rage but being as overweight and out of shape as I am, I wouldn’t even consider stepping foot in a gym at this point even if I had the time or financial resources.

Your challenge is a God send!!

2. Toni says

I am in. I’ve been looking for something different and have looked at crossfit a little. I do go to the gym 5 days a week first thing in the morning, but I’m bored with my old routine. I am trying to lose weight. It’s proving difficult. I’ve been off grain for 3 months now and didn’t lose any weight. I did the whole 30 and lost 3 lbs. for the month. I am a homeschooling mom of 4. Thank you for the challenges, the recipes, and such. I really enjoy your site.

Great! Good luck. Btw, have you ever looked into your Thyroid levels? I know that hypothyroidism can contribute to weight plateaus/weight gain. Just throwing it out there in case…

3. Jo Tichkowsky says

hey there…What an awesome idea! I’m in-I’m in-I’m in. Sunday’s are currently my rest days….so this crossfit works out really well.
    Thanks heaps too …challenges are always motivational…
    Cheers Jo.

I’m in! I just started running (as in: I just started running this weekend) and I love it, but I know I need more strength work than my 2 or 3 times a week kettle bell workout. This sounds like a perfect addition!

Let’s do it!!! Exactly what I was looking for! Sounds like the perfect complement to Johnny Bowden’s diet boot camp that I just started yesterday. (in a nutshell: no dairy, no grains or starches, no sugars/sweeteners).

6. Teresa says

In, in, IN! I turn 30 in February and feel like I got to step up taking care of myself. This will help discipline me. Thanks so much for sharing.

No problem. If you can’t run, either do a brisk 1/2 mile walk, or jump rope for 5 minutes, do some jumping jacks…anything to get your heart pumping. On Saturdays, you can pick something that you enjoy like swimming, biking, hiking, etc.

7. Shari Thacker says

Count me in!! This is perfect for me, too. I have a two year old at home and have been looking to get in better shape, and this I can work in at naptime. And it’s wallet-friendly, too!! lol

8. Mary says

I am in. I also have 5 children and I homeschool. I have been looking for something I can do from home. I can do this.

9. Kelli says

Love it! I crossfit at a gym…just completed the workout for today..def got my heart rate up..looks like two a days for me :)

10. Tiffany says

Im in!!!! I have 5 kids and homeschool also so I have no time to go to the gym. This is perfect for me:)
    Thanks!!

11. KD says

I’m in too (without the running, other than maybe some short sprints, and keeping yoga one or two days a week)

This will be great to mix things up! Instead of running, I will get a nice brisk walk with some very short sprints mixed in.

12. Christy says

This is great! I’m going to try to do it, although I don’t like to go running here. But I do aerobics and Zumba, so I’ll just figure those can take the place of the runs. =)

Okay – I am WAY too out of shape to do your exact workout so I have tailored it to myself. I’ve got more than 50 pounds to lose (a lot more), I’m 44 years old and I’m starting from couch potato status.

Here’s what I did today:
    5 push-ups, 5 sit-ups, 5 air squats (5 rounds)
    10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups, 10 air squats (1 round)

Hope that’s a good start!

14. Amanda Niverson says

I wish I would have seen this when you originally posted it, but since I didn’t I think I am going to give it a try on my own…

Amanda, there is a tab at the top with all the workouts on one page–see if you can get a friend to do it with you! It helps to have someone to keep you accountable. Let me know if I can help in any way!

• Lori says

I’m in! I was just thinking about the one we did in February and was going to look at what it was. This is great timing! :)

15. J. Adams says

I stumbled across as old post for the 30-day Crossfit Challenges. You mention an iPhone app to track the progress. Will you share the name of the app?

J. Adams