I’ve been married 17 years now. It’s amazing what can happen in 17 years.
When I look at the woman (girl??) I was when I got married, and compare her to who I am today, I am so thankful for growth.
I wasn’t always an adoring wife. We started our marriage on some rocky soil, what with all my baggage and such. It took years of prayer, work and willingness to accept my faults to get us to where our marriage is today. I am by no means a perfect wife, but I can say without a doubt that my husband knows I love him. He knows how important he is to me.
So often, the further we get into our marriages or relationships, the more we take our partners for granted.
Girls, we need to pursue our husbands. Not just live with them. Here are 21 ways you can do just that:
- Make your home a safe haven.
- Focus on the things he does right instead of the things he does wrong.
- Tell him every day that you love him.
- Feed him. Again, feed him.
- Ask his advice.
- Consider his advice.
- Be his loudest cheerleader.
- Don’t try to control him.
- Never criticize him in public.
- Boast about him in public.
- Be willing to say sorry.
- Take time to sit with him.
- Give him time to unwind for a few minutes before bombarding him when he gets home from work.
- Remember why you started dating him.
- Think about him when he’s away.
- Laugh at him (well, not at him…but laugh when he’s trying to be funny).
- Put him before the kids.
- Tell him what a buff stud he is.
- Place your hand on him when you are asking him to do something for you.
- Smile when he comes in the door.
- Use a filter when you speak.
Bonus: (This probably doesn’t need to be said): FLIRT WITH HIM! (I’m still working on this…16 years later.)
Of course, there are plenty of other things we can do to actively pursue our husbands. What do you want to add to my list?