We love shortbread around here. There’s something about the buttery texture and flakey, light crunch that is delightful.
I wanted to come up with a grain-free, dairy-free shortbread cookie recipe for those of you who are avoiding those grains and dairy. These turned out amazing and are the perfect dessert for your family. They’re tried and true in our home, and all our kids love them!
Pair these babies with a cup o’ joe or eat them on their own. Your tastebuds will thank you!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a separate bowl, melt palm shortening (or coconut oil).
- Stir in vanilla, egg and almond extracts.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir until combined, the dough will be a bit crumbly.
- Form into a ball and place between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Roll out to about ¼" thick and cut into desired shapes.
- *Note: If you're short on time, or just don't feel like rolling the cookies out, you can just form them individually by hand and flatten them. However, I think they taste better being rolled out flat...and they look prettier. =)
- Place onto baking sheet and bake for 6-9 minutes. Mine took 8. Let cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to cool on a rack. Enjoy!