Grain Free Sandwich Bread

grain free sandwich bread

I have searched high and low for a good sandwich bread for our kids. I have found a couple good recipes that work for the kids, but I still haven’t found one that I’m excited about. I don’t need a lot, but every once in awhile, I’d like a piece of toast! My friend inspired me to come up with something on my own (thanks, Quin!) It’s great for toast or sandwiches or just snacking on. Just be aware that this is NOT Wonder Bread or Oroweat. It’s not fluffy. But it’s an excellent remedy for those times when you want to throw together an almond butter and jelly sandwich! Here’s what I came up with:

Recipe: Grain-Free Sandwich Bread (makes one standard-sized loaf)

3 cups almond flour

1 cup tapioca flour

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 tsp gluten-free, aluminum-free baking powder

2 eggs

2-3 TBSP honey

1/2 cup warm water

2 TBSP apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted + a teaspoon or so for greasing

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, water, apple cider vinegar and oil. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until combined (it will be the consistency of cookie dough). Spread evenly into the loaf pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a knife comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.

Note: Store in fridge for best results.

Comments

1. Allison says

Thanks so much for the recipe!

There is a beautiful grain free bread in Australia called Deek’s bread which is delicious but pricey. He uses quinoa and tapioca as the flours. I haven’t been able to track down a recipe online, but this looks like it will hit the mark!

2. Cheryl says

Here’s another one I have tried that is delicious. I can’t remember where I got it though, maybe Belly Fat Cure?

Easy Almond/Peanut Butter Bread

1 cup natural almond/peanut butter, smooth
    3 eggs
    1 Tablespoon vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt (if PB already has salt, you can omit)
    2 servings Stevia (to taste, more if you want sweeter bread)

Blend all ingredients in a large bowl until smooth, about 1 minute.
    Pour into a loaf pan lined with foil for easy removal. I used an 8.5 x 4.5,
    this makes the bread rise a little higher. Bake in a preheated oven at
    350 degrees for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
    (Times will vary based on different ovens, just don’t overbake it or
    it will be dry) Remove from ove and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
    Then remove foil and cool on rack.

• allison says

Hi Cheryl
      Don’t you need some almond flour in that recipe? I have used a similar one from Elana’s Pantry but it has some almond flour in it to make it bread-like (along with almond butter).
      Allison

• Cheryl says

Nope. This is just how the recipe came. It tastes great as a PB&J bread or toast in the morning, but I wouldn’t want a ham sandwich on it.

I would suggest not, as tapioca flour is a binder, and coconut flour is very dense and requires a lot of eggs to get it to lighten up. You could use arrowroot in its place, however.

3. Amiee says

I was wounding if the Arrowroot is paleo? I never heard of it before. And I’m so happy I found this site,you are going to make it so easy for me to stick to a paleo lifestyle :)

Hi, Amiee. It depends on who you talk to. It is a starch, so it depends on how strict you are. I also use tapioca starch when needed. No one in our family has problems with it in moderation, so we use it. It’s grain/gluten free, if that’s your concern. Hope that helps!

Hi, Melanie! All of my recipes have been eaten by my kids. As long as at least 3 out of the 5 like what I make, it goes on the blog! lol If it’s a bomb, I don’t put it up. Sorry I’m not more help! lol