Homemade Fire Starters

We typically don’t use our heater in the winter since we have a wood stove, and at the moment, an unlimited supply of dead oak around our property. Starting fires at 5 a.m. can be a bit of a chore, so to ease that burden a bit, we (well, really Superman*, since he’s the one who starts the fires…) buy those fire sticks that you light and they easily get the fire going quickly. We figured that those cost about 50 cents a piece, and we go through at least 1 a day, sometimes two if I’m a bad wife and let the fire go out during the day. That can add up, and if the point here is to save money (which it usually is), I thought there had to be a better way. Imagine my excitement when I came upon this idea!

*my awesome hubby

Homemade Fire Starters

What you need:

1 egg carton

Lint from your dryer (yes, I just said that. You can actually use the lint from your dryer for something!! I do about 2-3 loads a day  {thanks, kids}, so I racked up a lint collection pretty fast…or you could just check your belly button occasionally…)

Candle wax (you can reuse old stuff, but since this was a new venture for me, I went ahead and bought a small container just to see if this actually worked)

That’s it!

What you do:

Get some candle wax (I bought the gel kind this time since it said slow-burning, but you can just use old candles or regular candle wax):

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Melt it in a saucepan over low heat:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

While that is melting, stuff some lint into each hole of the egg carton:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pour the melted wax over each hole filled with lint. I think a couple tablespoons should do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Let cool for a bit until it hardens:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pull off a segment at a time and place in fireplace.

Light just like you would a fire starter and watch the magic happen!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://cdn.lifemadefull.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Disclaimer-Box_edited-2.png
Print Friendly

Comments

  1. Beverly says

    I learned to do this as a girl scout leader, you can also use sawdust and parafin wax in the egg carton. Sure beats buying them doesn’t it!

  2. Diane says

    I wash out a tin can and use a hot water bath to melt old candles to make these. I’ve read they burn for 15 minutes, but I’ve never timed them.

  3. Jennifer says

    I used to use leftover wax from making candles for firestarters. Add a few drops of essential oil to your wax for a little home fragrance. Although, a wood-burning stove probably smells nice all by itself!

  4. Kim says

    I’ve always called these girl scout fire starters :-). We’ve made them for as long as I can remember. I keep the wax from old candles (even birthday candles) in an old metal coffee can and melt that in a water bath when ever I want to make fire starters.
    I also put rolled up cardboard into old tuna cans and cover with the old melted candles. These are fuel for my coffee can stove I made in girl scouts (having it around for 20+ years has actually come in handy a couple times during black outs!)

Speak Your Mind